Tuesday, October 18, 2005

E-Journal 4

Pardon me for such a late submission. I've been caught up with work and personal matters, but I know it is no excuse for a late submission of E-Journal.

Anyway, it has been a huge ride up and down this rollercoaster SIP! So many different experiences during work trigger so many different learning points to ponder about. I feel however, that all of these still boils down to one important factor.

Attitude. Without this, we can't get far in ANY direction we try to head for. For example during my experiences, I've made choices whether to do something or not to do. Attitude affected these choices. There was once i was on my way to have my break, and I saw someone looking puzzled standing at the business centre. I could have been a good employee with a good attitude, and gone over to assist the guest. However, I felt tired and furthermore it was my break time, so I pretended that I did not see anything and went for my break. After loads of reflection, I've realised that what I had done was not right in the sense that I don't practise what I preach. I talk so much about attitude, and mental willpower but there I was, committing the same mistake I tell people not to. Therefore, I've taken the opportunity to learn from this mistake. The next time I saw someone standing at the business centre looking puzzled, instead of heading straight for my break, I made a detour to help the guest. The guest was all smiles as it was a busy time and he couldn't catch any staff's attention at that point of time. As I made off for my break, I felt a good sense of achievement surge through me. Why? Simply because one, I have learnt from a mistake. Two, I managed to help someone seeking help. Three, this is precisely the reason why I'm here at Gallery. To learn, to serve, and to understand what the industry is about. This is my understanding of the industry, the hotel doesn't provide the service, we do. If we can't bothered to, then why are we here?

Another point to bring up would be system, or rather, standard operating procedures. These are easy to come up with, but not as easy to follow. I feel that we have abit of trouble with standard operating procedures, as things can get abit messy. What with everyone having their own style of doing things. Of course we have to respect our colleagues, but at the same time, we still have to stick to procedures which are there for a reason. So, that is another challenge we all face at work. A way to overcome that is quite easy actually. As long as we stick to the standard operating procedures, we shouldn't go too far wrong.

Discipline at work is an issue too. Sure we can have fun at work, that is the best condition to work in. As long as we all practise a little self discipline, we are all good to go.

Lastly, politics is an issue in the working world and will always be. No matter what kind of office conditions, politics is bound to lurk somewhere. We just need to know how to avoid it, or work around it, not with it.

Politics is inevitable, but whether you want to get involved with it is optional!

This are the things that I want to highlight in this journal, and more to come! I'm having mixed feelings about SIP now. Half of me can't wait for it to end, because I'm so drained everyday after work, having to smile 8hrs and more repeatedly. That is quite alot of smiles! but I am not going to complain, because you never know when someone will make your day just like how you can make someone's day with your smile. cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home