Tuesday, June 28, 2005

E-journal 1

Hi to all. I have been attached with The Gallery Hotel, and these six weeks have been a fruitful learning experience for myself. The reason I say this is because I learn something new everyday, even while being in the same department for a week or two.

I have been moving within the front office department to various areas like concierge, front desk or reception, and reservations. Each area has its own perks and difficulties, and I must say it is quite challenging to work in the front office. This is because we as front office staff are the first few to display the image of our hotel in our guests' minds. We are also the ones whom will interact with the guests in terms of needs and service.

I started off at the concierge for the first two weeks, and I realised that to be an efficient concierge, one must be VERY knowledgeable. I learnt we at concierge have to be on the ball and must know or find out just about everything we possibly can. This would require me to constantly search for improvement and acquiring essential knowledge to help the guests. I must say that this area has moulded me in a way that I am more disciplined and diligent to read more, to be more alert and sensitive to guests' needs. If there is something I can help the guest with, I should go all the way. Even if I can't help the guest, I shall find out how to do so. A friendly character and disposition helps too! Guests certainly feel good when warmly greeted by a smile from the staff. Just being at concierge, I have learnt so much, including the technical know-hows of handling the concierge or bell counter.

My next area of work was the front desk or reception counter in the third week. This was where things picked up really fast and I had difficulty coping. There was simply too much information for me to take in and remember all at one shot! But it took me some time, and I slowly got used to the pace. Basically front desk is VERY busy, and we would have to multi-task alot of the time. From answering phone calls[because we don't have an operator], to checking-in and checking-out of guests, to preparing paperwork for administration purposes, including handling guests who step up to the counter. phew! Very technical I must say, but nevertheless very interesting and challenging.

My next stop was the reservations department where I learnt about the ins and outs of reservations. The basic of all reservations is to know how to do filing! Pretty tedious job, but with the right attitude, you still can learn ALOT from all those papers you see. I have been taught to do agent and FIT bookings as well as updating of corporate contracts into the H.I.S System[Hotel Information System]. I even got the chance to handle phone calls one day! Very scary, but I managed.

One incident which impacted me was when a guest complimented me for being very helpful. He liked my attitude, and offered me his name card and an invitation to a business preview at the end. He asked me to consider opportunities for my future, and that was one right there. haha! So that was a motivation for me to carry on doing what I like to do, and make people smile. =]

Throughout the internship, no matter how big or small the task we are doing, we can learn something out of it with the right attitude. I appreciate the experience I am gaining now, but I do miss school and my friends. See you guys soon! cheers. =)

"Attitude is Altitude."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home