E-Journal 3
And I am back here typing my experiences for the past month. phew! This month has been an eye-opener for me. Probably the month where I start learning more concepts and mind skills rather then the physical training of do's and don'ts in the front office.
Firstly, I'll talk about handling customers. This month I have seen some of the toughest guests that I have ever seen in my experience with customer service.
There was this guest who was quite a difficulty. I saw him coming into the reception area, and I greeted him with a smile and ," Good Afternoon, Sir." He nodded and I proceeded with the checking-in procedures, like registering his details. Then came the onslaught when we asked him for a cash deposit or credit card imprint to guarantee his stay with us. He refused to pay and said it was ridiculous, because every hotel in Singapore he went to asked for this extra deposit.[but it's the normal procedure in most hotels!] After awhile, he started getting nasty and stereotyped us Singaporeans. He mentioned that all we want is to hold his money and blah blah. You get the idea. When I heard it I was boiling inside, because this issue does not concern how we Singaporeans work. However, I kept my cool as I knew I couldn't do anything. My colleague got more of his nonsense, perhaps because she seldom smiled and she definitely wasn't smiling talking to this guest. In the end, our manager was called upon to handle the guest, and even she was not spared from the verbal onslaught. However, I learnt something really important. My manager kept her cool, YET made her stand. Finally our sales manager who had some understanding of this particular case came down and took over, speaking to the guest. She managed to talk some sense to the guest and appease him too, but what I really learnt here was the way my manager handled herself and the hotel policy. It was that bad that I thought she would go into the back office really angry or break down inside. BUT she didn't. She smiled at us like nothing had happened. That was when I learnt the concept of our service industry. That we cannot take these type of situations too personally. THIS IS PART OF WHAT WE DO IN THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY. Meaningful lesson learnt here, and I've managed to apply it a couple of times! So I'm happy. Haha!
Secondly, I'm starting to understand and define the word service in our context. I start to see the difference between a five-star hotel and a four-star hotel now. I am seeing where we have gone wrong, what we should or should not have done, and more. I feel that an impacting factor for this difference is the hotel culture.
If the culture in the hotel is that staff do not talk or joke around with each other, always minding and doing only what they need to do, then there would be something wrong for the hotel.
If the culture in the hotel is that staff like to talk and joke with each other, always helping and doing not only what they need to do, then there would something good for the hotel. And that would be better service. This is because, in a way, I feel that a person's character and personality can influence his working style as well, thus impacting their service standards.
Thirdly, I have realised that I am beginning to open up and talk more. Usually I'm a quiet person, minding my own business at one side. Now, I feel that I talk more to my colleagues, dare to speak up to guests more, asking them how is their day and so much more. This is good as it can improve my working abilities and interaction skills with guests.
All in all, this is an eventful month for myself and I'm looking forward to the next! Just two more months to go everyone, hang in there. =)
[I've come to realise that making the special effort to reach out, press the lift button, and holding the lift for guests can really make them smile. haha!]
"This is part of what we do in the hospitality industry. Fun yet challenging at times."
Firstly, I'll talk about handling customers. This month I have seen some of the toughest guests that I have ever seen in my experience with customer service.
There was this guest who was quite a difficulty. I saw him coming into the reception area, and I greeted him with a smile and ," Good Afternoon, Sir." He nodded and I proceeded with the checking-in procedures, like registering his details. Then came the onslaught when we asked him for a cash deposit or credit card imprint to guarantee his stay with us. He refused to pay and said it was ridiculous, because every hotel in Singapore he went to asked for this extra deposit.[but it's the normal procedure in most hotels!] After awhile, he started getting nasty and stereotyped us Singaporeans. He mentioned that all we want is to hold his money and blah blah. You get the idea. When I heard it I was boiling inside, because this issue does not concern how we Singaporeans work. However, I kept my cool as I knew I couldn't do anything. My colleague got more of his nonsense, perhaps because she seldom smiled and she definitely wasn't smiling talking to this guest. In the end, our manager was called upon to handle the guest, and even she was not spared from the verbal onslaught. However, I learnt something really important. My manager kept her cool, YET made her stand. Finally our sales manager who had some understanding of this particular case came down and took over, speaking to the guest. She managed to talk some sense to the guest and appease him too, but what I really learnt here was the way my manager handled herself and the hotel policy. It was that bad that I thought she would go into the back office really angry or break down inside. BUT she didn't. She smiled at us like nothing had happened. That was when I learnt the concept of our service industry. That we cannot take these type of situations too personally. THIS IS PART OF WHAT WE DO IN THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY. Meaningful lesson learnt here, and I've managed to apply it a couple of times! So I'm happy. Haha!
Secondly, I'm starting to understand and define the word service in our context. I start to see the difference between a five-star hotel and a four-star hotel now. I am seeing where we have gone wrong, what we should or should not have done, and more. I feel that an impacting factor for this difference is the hotel culture.
If the culture in the hotel is that staff do not talk or joke around with each other, always minding and doing only what they need to do, then there would be something wrong for the hotel.
If the culture in the hotel is that staff like to talk and joke with each other, always helping and doing not only what they need to do, then there would something good for the hotel. And that would be better service. This is because, in a way, I feel that a person's character and personality can influence his working style as well, thus impacting their service standards.
Thirdly, I have realised that I am beginning to open up and talk more. Usually I'm a quiet person, minding my own business at one side. Now, I feel that I talk more to my colleagues, dare to speak up to guests more, asking them how is their day and so much more. This is good as it can improve my working abilities and interaction skills with guests.
All in all, this is an eventful month for myself and I'm looking forward to the next! Just two more months to go everyone, hang in there. =)
[I've come to realise that making the special effort to reach out, press the lift button, and holding the lift for guests can really make them smile. haha!]
"This is part of what we do in the hospitality industry. Fun yet challenging at times."


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home